BJU not to be mistakened with BYU
Being inspired by a scene on the OC where Ryan meets a group of guys from Bob Jones University, talking with my sister about our experiences at Bob Jones, and reading a little bit about BYU on Dooce's blog, I decided to enlighten you with my 2 years at the infamous or not so famous Southern College. First of all let me say it is a good education, something that my friend would disagree with because it is not accredited and she had a hard time getting into other programs outside of the barbwire fences, which, mind you, lean in not out. I went for Cosmetology, loved my teachers, and the experiences I had with the Cosmetology department. Along that line, one afternoon I was sitting in the lunch room, waved to an acquaintance, only to have the BoJo she was with say "who is that girl, the one that looks like Madonna" Innocently my friend gave her my name not knowing that she was going to call the Dean of Women's office and complain about my bleached blonde hair. So I got a call to visit the dean. I wore my most conservative dress and carried my Bible, making a total mockery of the system. She told me to change my hair color because being in cosmetology I needed to be a testimony for the other girls. I obliged her, only to change it back the next chance I got.
Tattling, or in their term being convicted for the other person, was something that was quite a pastime for those who wanted to kiss the Dean's ass.
Pink and Blue sidewalks? Well, they are not actually colored but you may as well say that yes girls on one side and boys on the other. And dating there consisted of meeting at the dining hall, going to a well supervised dating parlor, or taking a chaperone off campus to actually see what was outside of the gates.
I think these rules only encourage those who know what is outside of the wrought iron fences to rebel, lie and disobey. But there are many who do not know anything different than the sheltered compound of 5,000. I wonder how they are doing now.......
My friend says she is completely embarrassed that she went there; I on the other hand, love to see people's reaction when they find out I went to a school like that. If they could only see me now.
Tattling, or in their term being convicted for the other person, was something that was quite a pastime for those who wanted to kiss the Dean's ass.
Pink and Blue sidewalks? Well, they are not actually colored but you may as well say that yes girls on one side and boys on the other. And dating there consisted of meeting at the dining hall, going to a well supervised dating parlor, or taking a chaperone off campus to actually see what was outside of the gates.
I think these rules only encourage those who know what is outside of the wrought iron fences to rebel, lie and disobey. But there are many who do not know anything different than the sheltered compound of 5,000. I wonder how they are doing now.......
My friend says she is completely embarrassed that she went there; I on the other hand, love to see people's reaction when they find out I went to a school like that. If they could only see me now.


3 Comments:
At 3:38 PM,
LiteraryGirl said…
More stories! More stories!
At 8:12 AM,
StephieAnne said…
You are too funny, Hollie! I miss you - and the special gleam you add to life here!
At 9:40 AM,
Anonymous said…
Can I please see a picture of your Madonna phase?
Post a Comment
<< Home