Stuff I Love

Friday, September 09, 2005

....or how about the time......

...... that I got caught (by who? I have no idea! Probably someone that felt convicted for us) holding hands with my then boyfriend at Vespers. Vespers: a once a month required performance of opera/choir wannabes. So his room leader called, past calling hours mind you, saying that he was my cousin. He said the dean of women would be calling me and to just lie. Sure enough; they called and I lied. "No we didn't hold hands". But oh my gawd if we did, huh???? And it would've been put an my record as "sexual misconduct". Again, if they could only see me now.......Bob Jones 1 and 2 would be turning over in their graves!
I disagree with their legalism because I don't think it is normal. It encourages the kids, who are not afraid of life, to disobey, to lie, to sneak. I was afraid of my parents and what they would do if I got kicked out. And then again, everyone else had the same rules so it didn't seem all that weird at the time.
So how do they attract 5,000 students? I went for cosmetology which was a better education there than in the other schools, I looked into home ec, thought about staying to get that degree because that education you can't beat, and they have a great reputation for a business education. So, I guess, they are doing something right. The kids can't have a life, but they can get taught. Hmmmm then again, what a concept!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How does a life of legalism teach us to live in the real world? Yes, we are called to live in the world, but not of the world, but many people think that the way to do that is by sheltering ourselves from any tempation? I have a few friends that have really struggled as adults because they were brought up in a legalistic environment. When faced with some big issues they have failed and have felt completely abandoned by God. That somewhat trite question comes to mind (I know its not, but its been marketed and strained of the true power of the question) What would Jesus do? He wouldn't call you into his office because I don't think he'd have one. He also wouldn't ask you to dye your hair back because he'd ask you if you love him. Thats all that matters. Now that thats out of the way I do believe that we have a different standard to live by. This standard by no means makes us superior. Its a guideline, a boundary, that keeps us from hurting ourselves and others. We are not partake in certain things. Paul speaks of that often in his epistles. If we do for some reason fail, then we get right with God and move on. I know from personal experience that habitual sin keeps us from a deeply intimate relationship with God. I believe that we cannot experience the fullness of God's grace if we live in habitual sin. That thought, though, is far from legalism. Its living in Grace.

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger HollieHobbie said…

    I love this! I am going to re-read this comment over and over because I think, coming from the East Coast where things (church) seem more formal and legalistic (rules) it has been rather confusing for me. I like the "Jesus would like my hair as long as I say that I love Him"
    Thanks, Amy! You nose-ring chic, you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home