Stuff I Love

Monday, March 27, 2006

Dropping Shopping

That is the title of an article in my People magazine of a lady who only spent money on the necessities for ONE WHOLE YEAR! Wow! I asked Pete if we could do that. We thought we could until.....we went to Costco. Blew that. We didn't have a plan like she did, but I think even with a plan, we couldn't only do necessities for a year. Like, she used the same tube of mascara for the year. To me that would be a necessity. Oh, her goal was "to determine whether it is possible to have a life and an identity without buying a lot of stuff". Well put. Especially, nowadays, where I feel people get their security from the house they live in, the car they drive, the jeans they wear, or the handbag they carry, amongst other materialisms. A battle I have recognized in myself and have been determined to fight.
Anyways, she and her boyfriend decided that public transportation, the internet and the newspaper were essential. They gave up their gym memberships, movies and prepared food. Three things that she missed were ice cream from the ice cream stand, fresh cut flowers and movies.
Their social life suffered a bit since eating out was forbidden. I don't understand, though, why she couldn't read the latest books, as she claimed, because she could've gotten them from the library. But, whatever, to each their own.
So a positive, though, was that she and her beau had more time together because they were not consumed with seeing the latest, getting the latest, being at the latest etc. I like that part.
I think with kids necessities have a broader scope, and she had the luxury of putting this on just herself, but it has made me think "what is really necessary in this little life of mine?" because really we can't take it with us.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger AMY said…

    Okay, Girlie-Girl. Very good blog. I wrestle with this too. Where will this self evalution lead?

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger LiteraryGirl said…

    I'll have to find this article. I did this for a while. I asked myself "Do I NEED this?" before I bought anything, and it totally changed what I bought. But as soon as you start to let things slide, it just falls apart. I also think we all have different ideas of what are necessities, as I would say a gym membership is. After my little IKEA trip last week...I think I need to jump back on the necessity only bandwagon!

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Blogger HollieHobbie said…

    Amy, Jodi can fill you in on a little of the "self-evaluation". And email me your email address, or Jodi can forward it (something got sent back from pyngiz) and I'll tell you what I'd tell a life coach.....;)

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger HollieHobbie said…

    oh and I hope this self-evaluation leads to greater things than I can even imagine, right now. Is that what you are asking? Maybe I gave too much info and you just wanted to know if I am just going to boycott things made in China....haha

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger StephieAnne said…

    Good observations - I'm a big believer in moderation and evaluating "why" you want the purchase so much. Love you Hollie!

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger AMY said…

    No, not too much info. I get so excited to hear about things people have discovered about themselves. The good and the bad and what they want to do with this information. I just wanted to encourage you in your quest.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home