Stuff I Love

Sunday, March 19, 2006

God Never Ceases to Amaze Me

So lately I have been just a little melancholy, not lexapro bound, but just thinking "if only". "If only" I could lose the weight. "If only" I could get that new couch I have been eyeing. "If only" my kids would be quiet for just a few minutes more. "If only....." Well, first of all last week our pastor spoke on that and basically said what I already know: what am I doing for God?????
Not myself: but God.
ooops. Hit home.
But not hard enough for me to stop trying to figure myself out not for me but for Him.
Then last night came. We went to a local grocery store/espresso stand/lunch counter all in one (yeah, it is cool) Anyways, the girls and I sat down with my latte and their ice cream and this man made a few comments (not in a pedophile way but I was aware of that) about how good they are and how nice it is that dad got them ice cream etc. Then he prayed, silently, for a long time. And he ate his soup. Pete, the girls and I started goofing off with some stickers they got at the checkout and this man was laughing quite sincerely at our animation and when we got up to leave he said to me "That was the best dinner I have had" because of our little entertainment that I take so forgranted.
At that point it hit me that he was probably pretty alone according to our standards. He was not shy about talking to God in public and took amazement in the little things I take forgranted ie: my family to entertain me completely, my family to eat meals with regularly, my family to be with all weekend.
Anyways, I said a little prayer for him and thanked God for showing me my selfishness in the shape of the "man at the table next to us".

1 Comments:

  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger StephieAnne said…

    That's a great story - boy, do I relate with what you are going through. Thanks for sharing!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home