Stuff I Love

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

To Homeschool or Not to Homeschool That is the Question

I guess it is just one of the things I have chosen to do. I do think it is fun. I love seeing Emma's face squinch up when she is pronouncing a new word. I love having her here to hang out with and to watch her with her siblings. I really do love homeschooling, but lately it has been so frustrating. And I realized it is my own selfishness that has made it frustrating. My own need to get a structured schedule (I have never been structured or scheduled) my own need to spend more time talking with my kids than talking on the phone, which 2 posts ago started this little conviction. I need to appreciate where Emma is academically and not think she needs to be 4 grades ahead just because other homeschooled kids are. The point is to teach her for her, not because I want her to go to Yale at age 16 (tongue in cheek)
We'll see......
Because as many of you know I am not doing this because I think public school is bad; I am doing it because it is fun. Maybe I need to change my tone because not everything is fun all of the time.
Plus, I love staying at home, in my home, but I think I just haven't quite figured out how to do that yet. Anyways, Susan D has been a great help and inspiration and maybe along with being a snail mail pal, Amy W. will be a homeschooling email pal?
Oh and what a concept, I can get God in my corner too!

2 Comments:

  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger AMY said…

    Oh Hollie, cut yourself some slack. You just had a baby! You and Pete need to do what you think is right for your family. Pray and God will continue to direct you. Emma is going to be just where she needs to be. Some people think that the only place that child comparisons happen is in public school. Not so! A lot of home school parents are just as guilty of comparisons as public school moms. It quite frankly drives me crazy. I'm thankful for the group of moms I get to speak with on a regular basis that encourage me, build me up, and don't tell me that there is something wrong with my kiddos because they aren't at college level reading in first grade! Our #1 reason we chose to homeschool is because we wanted to enjoy our kiddos for as long as we could. We only have a few years to spend with them. We also wanted to cultivate our children's passions. If J wants to learn how to make a movie, we wanted to be able to help him get started on that adventure earlier as opposed to later. If Emma wanted to have dance class more than once a week, we wanted to be able to encourage that as well. Does that make sense? Or are you reading this at 3 in the morning? Its only 11:30 pm and I feel like I'm not making any sense.

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger HollieHobbie said…

    haha! Thanks for the encouragement, Amy. I know in my heart of hearts that I want to homeschool for the timebeing at least, but I gues I just feel a tad overwehlmed right now. Anyways, I am getting over it....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home