I like Oh My Gawd just had like such a Mean Girls Experience
So I was a room mother for the dance recital tonight. We had 3 year olds in our room along with 8-9 year olds. Everything went well, busy but well. Until towards the end. six 8-9 year olds came up to us: "She stepped on my foot" "She called me a name" "She is using someone else's makeup" "She is just mad at me because I dropped a little bit of glitter"
Okay, BACK OFF! Michelle and I didn't sign up for this, we just needed to make sure you tweens got to the rest room safely....
So Michelle said "okay you go over there and you go over there" They weren't budging, then somehow I got over to one of the desks with all of them and this is how it went:
"Okay, girls, now look at each other and say 'I like you'"
Most of them looked at me and said "No way"
Twit: "I like her, I like her, I don't like her, I like her" okay so that didn't work.
"Why didn't you guys bring something to do?" Shrug
"How long have you taken dance?" Various answers, but many of them for 6 years.
Twit: "she is just mad because I spilled a little bit of glitter"
Me: "Okay, let go of the glitter"
"How old are you all?" "8, 8, 9, 9....."(wow this happens at this young of an age?)
"What schools do you go to?"
Cute girl that twit is mad at; she is trying to get on twit's good side: "I think I have your grandma for a teacher"
Twit, very snob like: "You don't have my grandma, she is retired; you had her last year"
Cute girl got tears in her eyes. I just winked at her like "it is okay, she is an idiot and in the scheme of life this all won't matter"
But, man, how it does matter to these little lives! This post does not do the conversation justice. It was crazy! They (one specifically) were so mean! I went to Michelle and said "have you seen Mean Girls? because there it is!"
I don't want my girls to be the mean girls at all, but I don't want them to be the victims either. So what do you all think because it is out there; girls are nasty, catty, and it doesn't stop.
Okay, BACK OFF! Michelle and I didn't sign up for this, we just needed to make sure you tweens got to the rest room safely....
So Michelle said "okay you go over there and you go over there" They weren't budging, then somehow I got over to one of the desks with all of them and this is how it went:
"Okay, girls, now look at each other and say 'I like you'"
Most of them looked at me and said "No way"
Twit: "I like her, I like her, I don't like her, I like her" okay so that didn't work.
"Why didn't you guys bring something to do?" Shrug
"How long have you taken dance?" Various answers, but many of them for 6 years.
Twit: "she is just mad because I spilled a little bit of glitter"
Me: "Okay, let go of the glitter"
"How old are you all?" "8, 8, 9, 9....."(wow this happens at this young of an age?)
"What schools do you go to?"
Cute girl that twit is mad at; she is trying to get on twit's good side: "I think I have your grandma for a teacher"
Twit, very snob like: "You don't have my grandma, she is retired; you had her last year"
Cute girl got tears in her eyes. I just winked at her like "it is okay, she is an idiot and in the scheme of life this all won't matter"
But, man, how it does matter to these little lives! This post does not do the conversation justice. It was crazy! They (one specifically) were so mean! I went to Michelle and said "have you seen Mean Girls? because there it is!"
I don't want my girls to be the mean girls at all, but I don't want them to be the victims either. So what do you all think because it is out there; girls are nasty, catty, and it doesn't stop.


2 Comments:
At 4:21 PM,
StephieAnne said…
Not to cut on your former pre-school, but Amy and Lisa have shared numerous stories of junk going on even there. Mikayla's pretty ambivalant and not in need of a lot of friends, but is very aware of what others do or say that hurts people's feelings in her pre-school. It is SAD! After teaching middle school girls, it very much scared me in having a girl myself. Keep praying!
At 10:13 PM,
AMY said…
I echo Stephanie's comment. Keep praying. I keep reminding Emma Rose about the golden rule, "Love your neighbor as yourself." We do alot of role playing too. What would she do or say in this situation or that situation kind of stuff. I don't think you will have any problem keeping your girlie girls on the right track. And if and when they decide to make cheeky comments I don't doubt that your loving guidance will encourage them to get their heads on straight.
Post a Comment
<< Home