Stuff I Love

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Morbid but Thought Provoking

Live Like You Were Dying
(Tim Nichols/Craig Wiseman)

He said: "I was in my early forties,
"With a lot of life before me,
"An' a moment came that stopped me on a dime.
"I spent most of the next days,
"Looking at the x-rays,
"An' talking 'bout the options an' talkin’ ‘bout sweet time."
I asked him when it sank in,
That this might really be the real end?
How’s it hit you when you get that kind of news?
Man whatcha do?

An' he said: "I went sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing,
"I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.
"And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,
"And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying."
An' he said: "Some day, I hope you get the chance,
"To live like you were dyin'."

He said "I was finally the husband,
"That most the time I wasn’t.
"An' I became a friend a friend would like to have.
"And all of a sudden goin' fishin’,
"Wasn’t such an imposition,
"And I went three times that year I lost my Dad.
"Well, I finally read the Good Book,
"And I took a good long hard look,
"At what I'd do if I could do it all again,
"And then:

"I went sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing,
"I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.
"And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,
"And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying."
An' he said: "Some day, I hope you get the chance,
"To live like you were dyin'."

Like tomorrow was a gift,
And you got eternity,
To think about what you’d do with it.
An' what did you do with it?
An' what can I do with it?
An' what would I do with it?

"Sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing,
"I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.
"And then I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,
"And I watched Blue Eagle as it was flyin'."
An' he said: "Some day, I hope you get the chance,
"To live like you were dyin'."

"To live like you were dyin'."
"To live like you were dyin'."
"To live like you were dyin'."
"To live like you were dyin'."

by Tim McGraw

So how would you live like you were dyin'?

5 Comments:

  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger LiteraryGirl said…

    I love that song.

    Ummm, I would do too many things to name here, but they would all involve traveling, seeing people and chopping off my hair.

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger StephieAnne said…

    Relationships, experiences, memories - not wasting a second on "drama", housecleaning, or laundry -

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger HollieHobbie said…

    I have never actually heard the song, but a friend mentioned it to me yesterday, so I looked in up and wanted to remember the lyrics. My initial thoughts on what I would do are:
    I think I would have a card "published" to send to everyone I know and tell them about Jesus and eternity.
    I'd spend lots of time at Disneyworld with my family.
    I'd make videos for my kids.
    Plus, other experiences that do not include "drama"

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger StephieAnne said…

    Good Ideas Hollie!

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger michelle said…

    Whenever I hear this question, I think of my dad who always says that if the doctor told him he had a month to live, he'd continuously drive the stretch of highway between Vantage and Colfax...because then it would feel like 5 years.

    So based on how long you've been at the church, I'd guess you've heard that once or twice...maybe three times.

    Me though? I think I would want to look at who I am and if that's who I want to be remembered as being. Not that I'd put on a show to suddenly become someone I'm really not...

    I always find a disconnect with this question because I know what's really important is "being" (character, relationships, etc.) but my day-to-day is so focused on "doing". I'm not a very good "be-er" (not the alcoholic beverage) even though I want to be.

    Do I get extra credit for turning a comment into a monolouge/essay?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home