So I Am Giving Up.....
The other day I was at the library and was thinking "I really never need to buy another book with so many right here; plus, the girls love taking books out of the library, so why do I need to buy any more for them?" That epiphany along with too many toys in our home, I have decided that for the rest of the year I am not going to buy anymore books or toys. They seem to be spontaneous purchases for me especially if I go to Costco or Walmart. I have way too many cookbooks and enough reading to last me 10 years, plus, you know, the whole library thing.
So the toys and Christmas/birthdays has been everyone's first reaction: oh well. We'll find something else. I like how Lisa has described Steph as being experimental haha, I mean experiential, meaning really getting into the experience at hand and not looking back or ahead, just enjoying the moment, so for those times that may require toys as gifts, I'll supplement with something that they can bask in the moment.
Plus, last Christmas they had to have these certain toys each and now they hardly pay them any attention.
oh but here is an exception already: Espen can't be required to play with pink for the next year, so Little People is what he will be getting for his birthday and Christmas. But the girls: nope, nada, no more Barbies, Polly Pockets, etc from us anyways. I won't take that giving away from others though, just Mommy and Daddy.
I have also been thinking of giving up CD's, DVD's, handbags, and craft supplies that I will not use within one week for the rest of the year. These all seem to be spontaneous purchases also.
We'll see what else I add to my list, but I guess I am really trying to not be such a consumer, to be more conscientious about where I put my money and to just be a better steward all the way around.
So the toys and Christmas/birthdays has been everyone's first reaction: oh well. We'll find something else. I like how Lisa has described Steph as being experimental haha, I mean experiential, meaning really getting into the experience at hand and not looking back or ahead, just enjoying the moment, so for those times that may require toys as gifts, I'll supplement with something that they can bask in the moment.
Plus, last Christmas they had to have these certain toys each and now they hardly pay them any attention.
oh but here is an exception already: Espen can't be required to play with pink for the next year, so Little People is what he will be getting for his birthday and Christmas. But the girls: nope, nada, no more Barbies, Polly Pockets, etc from us anyways. I won't take that giving away from others though, just Mommy and Daddy.
I have also been thinking of giving up CD's, DVD's, handbags, and craft supplies that I will not use within one week for the rest of the year. These all seem to be spontaneous purchases also.
We'll see what else I add to my list, but I guess I am really trying to not be such a consumer, to be more conscientious about where I put my money and to just be a better steward all the way around.


1 Comments:
At 7:01 AM,
StephieAnne said…
Experimental, huh? I'm not sure if John would agree to that or not!!!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home