Stuff I Love

Monday, March 05, 2007

Am I growing up or just getting more tired?

I used to be the kind of gal who would get anxious if my calendar was not full by the beginning of the month and I would get a sort of rush when I had to add "just one more thing". Things have changed. One year I chaired a committee in Junior League, was on the steering committee of MOPS, chaired MOPS Craft committee and I think I was the only member, and I was either on or chaired that year the social committee in Sunday School, and was on the Womens' Ministries team. I need a lexapro just thinking about it. Plus, I was pregnant and trying to spend as much time with my only child before the next came along. I did it, but never again. Moving here made me realize my priorities got a little askewed and I decided to say more No than Yes. And to be able to keep my calendar in my head rather than on paper that I have to check every hour or so to make sure I am on schedule. I like staying at home. I now get a bit anxious if my day consists of more than one activity because I enjoy the spontaneous staying after class (pre-school) and visiting, deciding to go to the park then a store.

So last week was our anniversary and Pete's birthday. For our anniversary we could not decide which of the three yummy restaurants we wanted to spend it at so we did a progressive dinner: apps/wine at one, loop around to main course at another and top off with dessert from the third, except the third was closed by the time we got there.
Pete's b'day: he played golf and we met him for dinner after picking up a cake. Em doesn't like white with white so we had to get her a special slice of chocolate on chocolate.
The next day we had a fundraiser/family fun night at school. I went in early to help set up.
Friday I had a party to go to. I love the gals there; we just always have lots of laughter.
Saturday Pete played his first day of a two day golf tournament. I took the girls to a tea party then the movies and finaly met Pete and Espen at dinner.
Sunday two of three got sick, so we laid low and today I am in the midst of getting ready for a scrapbooking retreat this weekend.
My point? All that to say Much of that activity was family oriented and definitely kid oriented but I look forward to my weekend in a couple of weeks that has nothing on the docket. I am just amazed that this same person who had to have a jam packed schedule to function not too long ago now has to have a pretty empty schedule to feel comfortable.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger StephieAnne said…

    I very much relate. I definitely need a balance - enough on the schedule to keep me from being stir crazy, but I'd just as soon have the to-do's be family things instead of being tied down by other obligations. I like where things are at right now - it's very perfect for me.

    I have, however, found myself a little tired of the weekend events - too much of a good thing. I scheduled them all hoping to make it easier to get through the worst time of year for me, and now I find myself wishing I didn't have to pack but could just have a family slumber party watching The Disney Channel. Balance - that is the key!

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Blogger AMY said…

    happy anniversary and happy late birthday to Pete.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home