Stuff I Love

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I am soooo envious of:

Jenn White. Her husband is Gregg White and together with their children they have formed barenakedfamily.com. I love the concept! After, I think, 10 years of acquiring stuff and working harder to acquire more stuff they sold/donated it all and for 5 years have been traveling around the country, not just on a vacation but a way of life. They are not slaves to materialism. They are together all the time. They learn together. They travel together. They play together. They are a family of together. I want that! I thought with moving next to the middle of nowhere that we would have that. But along with the move came more work for Pete. A bigger house. And online shopping. Plus, more time on the phone and/or simultaneously on the computer.
So while I was online looking for the perfect window treatments to go with the perfect dining room table that will match the perfect dining room chairs that are still in the box because I have yet to find the perfect dining room table, I went to "solace girl". Where she had a link to the White's site. I am completely intrigued and impressed.
I stepped back and looked around at my excess, which the American Dream says still isn't enough. My excess of baskets, televisions and channels, computers, books, room, clothes, dishes, paper, cell phone minutes, and I feel like I need the perfect shelves/armoires to put it all in. Ugh! I feel like the scene on Over the Hedge where the racoon is telling the other animals "about people".
Gregg White started this whole plan while working at Microsoft and he said to himself "If I won the lottery what would I do?" He'd buy an RV and travel the country. And so he did.
They are not slaves to anyone or anything. They socialize with all kinds of people and learn from them too. It is more than minimalizing our lives it is a way of life. They say that people think they are crazy, but I think I am crazy for expounding so much energy in thinking my family needs this my family needs that when pending the attitude of the parents I really think my family could be quite happy in a 300 sf RV traveling the country as a way of life.
ps: this is all a post about me; I in no way am judging anyone else and their lifestyle.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger michelle said…

    I totally identify with your desire to get away from all the "stuff". In fact, yesterday I thinking about the SAME thing when I read: "This is what I mean, brothers: the appointed time has grown very short. From now on, let those...who buy (live) as though they had no goods, and those who deal with the world as though they had no dealings with it. For the present form of this world is passing away. I want you to be free from anxieties..." (1 Cor. 7) We have plenty of reason NOT to be so "stuff-oriented", but its still a big battle. I don't think its the stuff that's bad, its our use of it. Our stuff can be a tool that brings us and others closer to God, or it can get in the way of us living out God's kingdom here on earth. We don't have to all live in a motorhome to have the White's simplicity of life; but it means we have to make decisions to that end, which requires more effort. Its an every-day battle that I sometimes lose and sometimes win.

    Oh, and I think I've recommended these books before when your "books I've gotta read" list was too long, but if you haven't read "The Treasure Principle" or "Money, Possessions & Eternity" by Randy Alcorn, I REALLY think you'd like them. (And I have them, so you don't have to accumulate more stuff, you just have to temporarily relieve me of mine!)

    Didn't intend for the mini-sermon...but since you share the "ugh! stuff!" sentiments I often have, you're an easy victim. :)

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger HollieHobbie said…

    Michelle, you always crack me up! and inspire at the same time. I may get those books from you, not anytime too soon, like not before the Holidays, but maybe the beginning of January. Anyways.....thank-you for even more insight on the subject. Pete was just saying, as I was getting all excited to pick out a great RV for just $11,000, that we don't have to be in an RV to simplify. I think I like extreme.

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger michelle said…

    Don't you mean "X-treme"? (Just making fun of our church/my dad...apparently someone forgot to let someone know that some phrases are stuck in the '90s.)

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger AMY said…

    I hear ya Hollie. Doesn't it look so great? I would love to figure out a way to do that for a year. I just read an article in the RG about a family that is back from their year long trip around the world. I'll try to post a link to it on my blog.

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger Brown eyed girl said…

    This would be fun! I would love to do this for a year or so? We do all this "stuff" for ourselves really. When we often use it as an excuse, for providing for our kids. Maddy would be soooo happy travelling with us and the dog and always being together. She doesn't care what we're eating and what we're wearing, and if we have enough options on the TV.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home