Stuff I Love

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Am I missing something?

Why is there so much controversy with Madonna adopting a boy who if left in the orphanage would probably die from some tragic disease? I am all for people like Madonna, Brad and Angelina and any other caring celebrity helping out the very less fortunate and especially giving these children a life that they otherwise cannot even afford to dream about.
What is the issue of her using her status to gain this adoption? From what I understand she had a homestudy done. But was her "power" used? That scares me, not with her because I really feel she is sincere in giving David a good home, but I worry about pedophiles taking advantage of the system and getting children from these countries. Did she open a Pandora's Box?
And....how many children need homes in our own country? How many are in orphanages here in America? Why are people going outside of the US? Does anyone know? I am just wondering.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:53 PM, Blogger AMY said…

    I hear ya. I was at Holt's site the other day and noticed that they have a link to children that are needing families right here in Oregon. I really appreciated that because I wonder about the somewhat celebrity fad of overseas adoptions.

     
  • At 7:48 PM, Blogger michelle said…

    I like to answer questions, even if I have to make up the answer, so I'm going to answer yours and you can decide if its true or not. So adopting a normal, healthy caucasian child takes a REALLY long time and is REALLY expensive ($35,000+), which is why so many people adopting these days go overseas (a cousin adopted from China recently...that was only $25,000). There aren't many "children's homes" in the US, since most kids are put into the foster home system...and there is a HUGE need for foster parents right now. Thank the legal system for why there is simultaneously too many kids in the system and lots of people who want to, but can't, adopt them. Also, most of these kids have issues -- from behavioral, mental, emotional...and physical problems from parents that used drugs...so they're often less desireable. I know being philanthropic is "cool" these days, but I'd be way more impressed if Madonna and "Brangelina" adopted a US kid with fetal alcohol syndrome that "no one wants" instead of some cute kid from Africa.

    And as to pedopiles taking advantage of the situation, well, there's already thousands of these third-world children who have been sold/kidnapped into the sex industry, so they've already got it covered. In fact, if the kids make it to the orphanage, they're probably past the danger of that happening.

    And why is this thing with Madonna a controversy? We apparently are really bored and needed some entertainment.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home