Stuff I Love

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Something I wish......

So recent events have made me think about the years that I was single and what I wish I had done differently. Now I know that all events bring one to the place we are now, but in that time I could've used my time a bit better to feel like more of a whole person now. Like #1: I wish I had gone against the grain and thought " you know, I don't need a guy to complete me" I think being single we so badly want to feel like we are important to someone of the opposite sex and that life will be great then. Sidenote: then when we are married we wish the opposite....just kidding! Anyways, I wish that I had done things to prove myself and to have my own identity instead of "so and so's girlfriend or so and so's wife" How great would it have been to take up politics (so I wouldn't be so damn confused now) or finish my degree (again the whole damn confused thing) or went to Disney World by myself just because I wanted to? How cool would it be to look back and think I went on mission trips (like Lisa and Steph....those are the ones I know of) and have great memories that way helping people and not just doing it to find God's right one for me. Now don't get me wrong, some of the stuff I did still makes me laugh now, but buying 3 new shirts each week (one for Thursday, one for Friday, one for Saturday) and spending alot of money on consumption, either alcohol or just being out to dinner to hang out with friends to begin our night out, just seems like I could've redirected my money and talents in other directions, making me more of a whole person with again my own identity. I didn't even look like myself! I tried all I could to look like Madonna.
So all that to say "I wish I had done things and lived life when I was alone to make my own identity instead of focusing so much on trying to combine with someone else's"

4 Comments:

  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger StephieAnne said…

    So ironic that I just completed a Bible Study for the day on seeking only the approval of God - such a tough lesson!

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger LiteraryGirl said…

    I have thought of this, too. I wonder now if I was single again if I would do things differently, like possibly NOT think that I needed someone else in my life to "complete me". As a married for almost 8 years woman, I do realize now that, while being married is great, it doesn't "complete" me. (Truly, no other human being can "complete us", sorry Jerry Maguire.) Luckily I have a husband who freely allows me to pursue other avenues of interest to keep me growing and learning. He gives me the freedom I need and crave to do that. But I do struggle to balance my individuality with my desire to honor and spend time with him. I think the main point might be (along with what Stephanie said) that we just need to be content where we are at, either married or single, and honor God, grow, and enjoy life as He designed. I hope that I do that married, not wishing for the freedom of a single life but growing still as a married woman. (It's not too late to learn about politics, finish your degree or take a short term mission!) And I hope that if by God's design I am ever single again that I would continue to live this way.

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger HollieHobbie said…

    Very well said you guys! Glad you added great comments because my post was kinda random.
    I know it isn't too late, Jodi, to do the politics thing etc. Those things though, as of right now, I don't have much of an interest in. As married I am content at where I am; I just wish I had been more confident and powerful as who I was without a companion. I think I would've made better choices that way. Kinda crazy to be reminiscing about, but like I said recent events have brought some of my past to mind.
    Now is the time, Amy, to get me to give you that screenplay! haha

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger AMY said…

    Hollie-girl, anytime you are ready!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home