'Ode to Jaimie
So lately I have been hearing "who the H*ll is Jaimie?" It is my bad for not mentioning her more during my life out west. We have been friends practically from birth (but she will turn 40 ten days before I do: sidebar) We went to school together off and on making memories full of laughter along the way. Throughout college we kept in touch, but not seeing each other much, if at all. Then one day we were walking on opposite sides of the mall and caught each others glance (dearly not queerly) making us lifelong pals since. We reconnected, hung out alot and eventually got an apartment together.
We were so different then: like for instance, when we did our first grocery shopping together, she wanted to get the eco-friendly, recycled paper towels (like a good Democrat) I was just more concerned with how much they cost ( like a good Republican)
But we both had something in common: our crush on our hot landlord. She got the guy. I was set up with his friend....not interested, but we had fun playing pool.
We always had boyfriends at different times, so that wasn't too much fun. She would've been crazy and fun to be single with. Anyways, in 1993 her boyfriend at the time (now her husband) and my husband (now my ex-husband) broke up with us within days of each other. I had tickets to see Adam Sandler, so Jaimie and I went. We loved/love Adam Sandler, but that night while everyone was laughing we were looking at each other saying "what is so funny?" Then I think we went out for dessert.
Or how about that I worked with her husband before they even knew each other. He was a nice guy, nice looking and Protestant. Since I hadn't met my match at Bob Jones, I thought David could be "the one". I wrote this in a letter to her, which she found just a couple of years ago, the letter stated that "there was this guy, blah, blah, blah. He is blah, blah, blah, and I think he may be the one....his name is David" They sure did get a good laugh about that, since they have now been married 11 years and have 4 children.
Jaimie and I don't talk that often, but when we do it is like we never skipped a beat, and the call can go on for about 3 hours. Also, the last time I was on the eastcoast I didn't go see her, but she hasn't held it against me, she knows what a busy time visiting back east can be for me. For that kind of low maintanence I am grateful.
It has been fun watching each other grow personally and spiritually. Spiritually: we grew up in different religions, but lately we have gotten on more of that same page, and I just love hearing about the books that she is reading (and recommends) and that she speaks in front of ladies' groups at church. I am still at the stage of looking for cliff-notes and sitting in the audience. I wish I could be there to hear her. Personally: we've been through things together and separately, secrets and not, but we have remained friends throughout the years.
My hope for all of you is that you have a pillar of friendship in your life. If you do please share.
And, Jaimie, I hope this makes up for not sending you a b'day card in March......
We were so different then: like for instance, when we did our first grocery shopping together, she wanted to get the eco-friendly, recycled paper towels (like a good Democrat) I was just more concerned with how much they cost ( like a good Republican)
But we both had something in common: our crush on our hot landlord. She got the guy. I was set up with his friend....not interested, but we had fun playing pool.
We always had boyfriends at different times, so that wasn't too much fun. She would've been crazy and fun to be single with. Anyways, in 1993 her boyfriend at the time (now her husband) and my husband (now my ex-husband) broke up with us within days of each other. I had tickets to see Adam Sandler, so Jaimie and I went. We loved/love Adam Sandler, but that night while everyone was laughing we were looking at each other saying "what is so funny?" Then I think we went out for dessert.
Or how about that I worked with her husband before they even knew each other. He was a nice guy, nice looking and Protestant. Since I hadn't met my match at Bob Jones, I thought David could be "the one". I wrote this in a letter to her, which she found just a couple of years ago, the letter stated that "there was this guy, blah, blah, blah. He is blah, blah, blah, and I think he may be the one....his name is David" They sure did get a good laugh about that, since they have now been married 11 years and have 4 children.
Jaimie and I don't talk that often, but when we do it is like we never skipped a beat, and the call can go on for about 3 hours. Also, the last time I was on the eastcoast I didn't go see her, but she hasn't held it against me, she knows what a busy time visiting back east can be for me. For that kind of low maintanence I am grateful.
It has been fun watching each other grow personally and spiritually. Spiritually: we grew up in different religions, but lately we have gotten on more of that same page, and I just love hearing about the books that she is reading (and recommends) and that she speaks in front of ladies' groups at church. I am still at the stage of looking for cliff-notes and sitting in the audience. I wish I could be there to hear her. Personally: we've been through things together and separately, secrets and not, but we have remained friends throughout the years.
My hope for all of you is that you have a pillar of friendship in your life. If you do please share.
And, Jaimie, I hope this makes up for not sending you a b'day card in March......


4 Comments:
At 1:10 PM,
LiteraryGirl said…
Very nice ode to friendship. Always great to have someone in your life who is always there, no matter what. Through yucky times and disagreements. I swear I don't trust a friend who I've never fought with.
My "tried and true" friendships, as you know, are Jaylene and Liz, for many, many reasons.
Glad to see a new POST!!!
At 2:09 PM,
1568kathy said…
Hi Hollie. I've been a quiet reader and have enjoyed many of your posts. I especially liked this one. So sweet. I have two amazing sisters and two pretty incredible girl friends. It is so crucial. Thanks for sharing. How sweet to celebrate each others differences and growth.
At 5:04 PM,
LiteraryGirl said…
I was thinking about my post and I realize I should have used the word disagreed instead of fought. Not that it really matters...
At 9:58 PM,
HollieHobbie said…
Thanks, you guys!
Post a Comment
<< Home