Operation Christmas Child
How much fun the girls and I have had filling shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child done through Samaritan's Purse by Franklin Graham. Anyways, we filled our first shoebox when Em was two, and now we do 2 boxes, one for each to fill. We went to the store yesterday, and they were able to pick out some candy, a coloring book, etch a sketch and a toy. This morning we packed the boxes. They had soooo much fun saying "I hope my friend likes this" and surprisingly enough, Mo has not fought me to keep the baby doll she chose.
It is a fun tradition that we look forward to each year. I like it because it makes the children think outside of their box (no pun intended); I love the excitement they have doing it for a child they have never met; and Em is at an age that I can explain why these children need people like us to make their Christmas special. But try explaining why Santa won't be visiting them.......
It is a fun tradition that we look forward to each year. I like it because it makes the children think outside of their box (no pun intended); I love the excitement they have doing it for a child they have never met; and Em is at an age that I can explain why these children need people like us to make their Christmas special. But try explaining why Santa won't be visiting them.......


2 Comments:
At 9:00 AM,
LiteraryGirl said…
That's a great tradition.
How can we find out more about it? I'd love to do it with my kids.
At 11:30 AM,
HollieHobbie said…
We did it through First B in the past, so call the office first. But there are lots of churches that are drop off sites for the filled boxes. Check out Samaritanspurse.org (or com?) then go to Operation Christmas Child. There is a small list of things they do not want packed like war looking toys, chocolate, mouthwash and anything that will melt or spill.
Also, there is a catalog of items one can "buy" for these children/families like chickens, schooling, milk. We just donate and Graham takes care of the rest. If there is someone who is just so hard to buy for but has a giving heart you can "honor" them and a card will be sent to them saying so. It seems pretty cool. Em wants get a soccer ball (in the catalog) for the children and she also said "and a Bible so they can learn about God" I think we will donate and "honor" our parents this way for Christmas too.
Post a Comment
<< Home