Onto something a bit flufflier
Putting controversy aside until after Christmas, I'll let you in on our Christmas tree adventure. Not really an adventure, I guess. Nothing that exciting, just laughable......now. So to start out with - I wanted to get the tree up Thanksgiving weekend. Then I was advised against a real tree that far before Christmas. The following weekend we went on a spontaneous trip out of town. Oh let me interject that I also wanted a romantic time of family bonding in the snow with hot cocoa and roasted hot dogs, just like what I grew up with. So to go get a tree, with Pete at work and Em at school, wasn't going to cut it. This past weekend one thing after another, but on Saturday we went to a nursery, after I gave up my dream of a romantic hike to the woods, and I thought for sure we'd come home with a tree. No way was I spending $80 on a less than "perfect" one, so I said "let's just go to Costco; we'll smell pine/fir from our wreaths". 12 foot/$400 ones was all that were left. I started pouting. So Saturday night at 11 pm I said to Pete that the kids deserved something, so he put up our what I thought was 7 1/2 foot fake tree that we had our last Christmas in Oregon. It was five foot (seemed so much bigger in our lower ceilings) He put lights on it, we watched Christmas with the Kranks (appropo), I started calling Pete "Angel", and I got online to check trips to Disneyland threatening to return everything and just spend Chriatmas there; my original plan until we realized that Pete had no more vaca time left after going to Disney World already this year.....
Sunday morning M comes down and says "oh what a beautiful tree!" That should've been all that mattered, but I said "I am not having a Christmas Eve party unless we get a different tree". I realized right then that the finished tree is like a woman's rite of passage to the Christmas Season.
He was going to Home Depot that morning, so I said "just get a tree; I don't care what it is it just needs to be bigger" I gotta hand it to him. Knowing that the wrong tree move could put me into a fa la la funk, he took the bait and came home with the prettiest tree that we have ever had.
Lights are on, the kids had a great time putting ornaments on, and all is well with the tree.
Sunday morning M comes down and says "oh what a beautiful tree!" That should've been all that mattered, but I said "I am not having a Christmas Eve party unless we get a different tree". I realized right then that the finished tree is like a woman's rite of passage to the Christmas Season.
He was going to Home Depot that morning, so I said "just get a tree; I don't care what it is it just needs to be bigger" I gotta hand it to him. Knowing that the wrong tree move could put me into a fa la la funk, he took the bait and came home with the prettiest tree that we have ever had.
Lights are on, the kids had a great time putting ornaments on, and all is well with the tree.


1 Comments:
At 6:19 AM,
StephieAnne said…
Very funny, Hollie. And amazing pictures that you sent - Espen is ADORABLE!!!!!
I'm glad you went with the real tree..... it just makes it that much more special. And, FYI, we've never had a big problem with getting our trees early - maybe because they are noble or we're really good about keeping water in them, but they last really well.
Way to stick to your guns for a cozy home!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home