Stuff I Love

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Something else needs to be a girl's best friend

So last night we saw Blood Diamond. Didn't know what we were getting into; it was the only movie playing when we got done dinner. During the movie I said to Pete "You set me up!" See, I never got a diamond before we got married. I have been content with my band. But lately I have been looking at a particular one at Tiffany's and asking Pete to shop around for someone who could make it for like 1/2 the price. And he has. Even yesterday he scouted out the Costco website for their diamond choices. So I have been pretty close to getting the "diamond of my dreams". Until now.
I had heard that this sort of thing happens, but it was in a passing conversation with my sister and bro in law. They had seen a similar documentary on 60 minutwes. Anyways, as Hollywood as it was, I am sure it still held some truth and I don't think I can be associated with that truth. This seems like an extreme conviction that I can go along with and accomplish, I think.
I said that to Pete last night and he referred to my idea of opening a Homeless Bed and Breakfast, not buying any toys, books or DVDs (which I did accomplish until November) or, remember this one, heading off in an RV.
Anyways, I do want to know more on the subject because even though they said at the end of the movie to ask if it is a conflict free diamond, it is my thought that the diamond industry as a whole just perpetuates these actions.
So do you all know anywhere else that I can get info on this subject?

2 Comments:

  • At 9:20 AM, Blogger LiteraryGirl said…

    No surprise that I am with you on this one. I do know that you can get safe diamonds, but that is not something I am interested in anymore. I do not plan on owning a diamond ever again.

    Just do some google searching, and pay attention to who is supporting the website. The diamond industries site says most diamonds come from safe places now, well, of course they say that. Look at sites that don't have anything to gain, i.e. news sites, wikipedia.

    You can also e-mail Alisa about this...she's in the industry and knows about how to get safe diamonds.

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger HollieHobbie said…

    I understand the "safe" diamond but am still concerned that even safe diamonds perpetuate the diamond craze, yet still encouraging the "unsafe" ones.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home